The 2013 Bike MS Coast the Coast ride

I woke up 5:30am on Saturday morning after getting a good night’s rest (as per my wife’s orders.) 50 milers check-in began by 8am, for a ride start time by 9am. I still had a number of things to complete before I could leave no later than 7:30am. Glad that I had at least figured out the bike rack installation, I started on getting ready, filing out the release waivers and pledge packet paperwork. I eventually got out the door by 7:50am — later than I wanted, but not the worst thing in the world.

I arrived around 8:40, and I hurriedly parked, and jogged inside the Monmouth University gymnasium to drop off my paperwork, get my t-shirt and breakfast. I had hoped this time around that I would avoid any mistakes or forgotten paperwork like in the past few times, but no such luck. I had been assigned two different rider numbers, so back to the “Solutions Desk” to resolve it before I could get breakfast. Instead of riding with Team CentraState again, I was invited to ride with a friend’s “Squirrel Commando Squad” team. However, it turned out that entire team was riding the 25 mile course, and would start at 10am. That meant I actually never got to meet anyone, and I rode the 50 miles by myself. Although I like to hang out with people, I’m basically a solo rider, so I don’t mind the lack of company.

A little after 9:15, I started riding out from under the big MS banner. In my haste, I realized that I hadn’t actually stretched before I got underway, so I kept it easy the first 10 miles to allow my legs to warm up. The ride itself went fine, although I had expected great sunny weather. Instead, we had overcast skies and threatening clouds, with some drizzle. What the heck was up with the original weekend weather forecast? This year, I decided to not pig out on all the snacks, eat nuts or fruit only, and keep moving. I finished the ride in 5 hours, though I feel that I would have finished in less time if I hadn’t stopped to take so many pictures. Also, around 15-20 miles, I noticed that the cleat on my left cycling shoe had worn off or broken. It was hard to keep a solid lock with my left pedal. Around mile 24, we reached rest stop #2 at Brielle  Cyclery. I went inside to ask if they had SPD-SL cleats, and they did. So I bought some cleats, and walked around barefoot while they installed it. I also noticed that the ratcheting mechanism on the left shoe was also not working, so I asked them to take a look / fix it. In the meantime, I checked out the nice (and expensive) bikes hanging on display.

I was interested in seeing the shore towns for the first time after Sandy hit last October. The entire ride up and along the shore, all I experienced was hearing the hammering and saws cutting wood, the smell of sawdust, and seeing so many damaged/collapsed homes. These towns certainly took a beating from Sandy. They’re in a rush to rebuild now, especially with start of summer in another week. I wish them a lot of luck. Maybe this summer, we’ll make more of an effort to explore these towns.

I got back to the university a little after 2pm. I had lunch, then packed up the bike, and drove home in the rain. I’m glad I didn’t get caught out in the rain attempting to drag my sore achy body from mile 50 to mile 85 or 100. 50 miles was perfect for today.


This entry was posted in Personal and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *