The Ipes stayed overnight in Manhattan to see Waitress on Broadway, but the Universe desperately tried to throw roadblocks every step of the way

I don’t know what our deal is. Nothing is ever simple. Is it us? Is it life? Is it random? Let me take a breath before I get into it.

For Christmas, we bought tickets for the four of us to see Waitress the Musical on Broadway. We’ve been taking advantage of the ‘Kids on Broadway’ promotion for a few years now in a row, and it’s been a fun experience. For the past two years, to make up for the invariably long day, we started staying overnight in Midtown. It’s easier than trying to come home by train exhausted by 1 AM.

The original plan was for me to come from the office, meet the family uptown, grab dinner at Serendipity 3 on the East Side, then hit the show, then go home by train.

Then we added back the hotel idea, and booked a room last minute at the Millennium hotel on Broadway.

Then I ended up WFH because how are we going to pick up the kids early and drop off the suitcase, and make a 5 PM dinner reservation?

Then I was working later than planned from home.

Then we decided trying to make the original dinner reservation was ludicrous and we decided to eat somewhere near the hotel.

Is everyone caught up?

Eventually caught a train, and I got a call about a mini fire drill. Somehow, I needed to get back to the office this evening after the show. We walked from Penn to the hotel, dropped off our stuff, sat for 5 minutes, then grabbed dinner downstairs at a restaurant in the lobby called
Bugis Street Brasserie and Bar. It featured Singaporean cuisine, with a smattering of American options in case people were scared of Asian food. We stuck with Singaporean dishes and it was all very tasty. I didn’t like that my one mixed drink was $19. That was a ripoff.

We made it to the show, and our seats were pretty good – left center. The show was entertaining for sure, but not deep enough mentally for my wife. We were surprised to learn that Joey McIntyre was in it! Really? As soon as the show was over, I left the family, ran to the hotel to grab my office badge ID, took the 3 train downtown, did my work, then came back to the hotel around midnight.

The next morning I was up early and gone around 6:45 AM so I could be in the office for a 7:30 AM global call.

The rest of the family slept in, grabbed breakfast somewhere nearby, and hung around some more. I met them for lunch at Serendipity 3 (apparently lunch reservations are easier to make than dinner reservations?), and the food was okay. I suppose the restaurant is popular for the tourists.

And that was it for our big crazy 24 hours in NY. I went back to the office, and they took a cab back to Penn and took the train home.

This entry was posted in Family, News and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *