We’ve been in this house for slightly under three years, and we consider the living room a minor eye sore. We have the previous owner paint colors, worn-out window treatments, and original carpeting. We’ve got still-comfortable furniture purchased back in 2003, but it’s been twice slip-covered. We’ve got tables that we picked up second-hand. Two old table lamps light the room. The kids primarily use the room for reading, and we celebrate Christmas in there annually. It’s more of a “spare” room than a “living” room. I do think the cats spend more time in there than we humans do.
Time for a change.
After a few weeks of discussions, we’ve committed ourselves to making it a real room. We’ve been consulting with an interior designer, and turning it into a library or den where you can also hang out and relax. It’s going to be a few weeks before it’s closer to the future state, but here are some ideas of what we have scheduled, planned, or still considering:
- Hardwood flooring (Purchased! Measuring and installation to be scheduled)
- Area rug (We have something in mind.)
- Paint (Color selected)
- Built-in bookshelves (To store our favorite books to curl up and read)
- Furniture (Still deciding, but looking at one loveseat, two comfy chairs, an ottoman / table, a built-in window bench, and maybe a bar)
- New window treatments
- New artwork
- Recessed lighting (and a new ceiling mount/box for when we eventually find a really cool light fixture)
It’s all exciting and expensive, but long overdue. And I’m glad we’re not waiting 10 more years to get it done.