Man, it was tough to get decent tickets to Zootopia (2016) on opening weekend. Our friends Doug & Kathy were driving down to our neck of the woods to meet us for the movie, and for dinner out to celebrate Doug’s birthday. Zootopia is the latest film from Walt Disney Animation. Here’s a brief summary:
In a city of anthropomorphic animals, a fugitive con artist fox and a rookie bunny cop must work together to uncover a conspiracy.
The film has a pretty nice cast list:
- Ginnifer Goodwin – Judy Hopps (voice)
- Jason Bateman – Nick Wilde (voice)
- Idris Elba – Chief Bogo (voice)
- Jenny Slate – Bellwether (voice)
- Nate Torrence – Clawhauser (voice)
- Bonnie Hunt – Bonnie Hopps (voice)
- Tommy Chong – Yax (voice)
- J.K. Simmons – Mayor Lionheart (voice)
- Octavia Spencer – Mrs. Otterton (voice)
- Alan Tudyk – Duke Weaselton (voice)
- Shakira – Gazelle (voice)
The film was certainly entertaining. Zootopia is a major metropolis where all sorts of animals live and thrive. When Judy Hopps (voiced by Ginnifer Goodwin) becomes the first bunny rabbit to join the police force, she quickly learns how tough it is to fit in. Determined to prove herself, Judy jumps at an opportunity to solve a case of a missing…. otter. However, she has to solve the case in only 48 hours. In order to solve the crime, she enlists the help of Nick Wilde, that fox you see in all of the trailers, commercials, and other ads (voiced by Jason Bateman.) While the plot follows your basic Disney animated film (hey it’s children), the voice acting, the animation, and the little jokes sprinkled around for the adults are pretty good. At our local theater, it’s been impossible to catch a showing unless you booked it way in advance. Go see it!