A year ago, I was very clear on what my next phone and tablet would be. I was very much set to get the iPhone 5 and my long-awaited for iPad 4 with Retina display. How the situation on the ground can change only a few months later. I’ve taken a step back and questioned myself as to why I needed to stick to the Apple ecosystem. Sure, I use iTunes, but should that drive my entire decision-making process? Haven’t I become a bit bored with the staid iOS operating system? I don’t like iCloud. I don’t use Airplay. I don’t use iTunes Match. I don’t use AppleTV, or purchase videos from them (well, not really.) I’m not married to Apple’s ecosystem at all. In fact, I use Google Plus, Gmail, Google My Drive. If you add up the apples and oranges, I have more oranges. Or Googles. But not a googol of oranges, because that would be weird. 😉
Last month, I was fairly certain that I was going to jump to Android, and purchase the Samsung Galaxy S 4 when it’s release later this year. Switch to Verizon, switch to Android. Clear cut decision.
And yet, not so much. The game just got more interesting. I’ve been following the other phone releases, and while the new HTC One piqued my interest briefly, I’m very much intrigued now by the forthcoming Sony Xperia Z phone and Tablet Z. Both have very interesting specs, and pretty awesome design. Check ’em out — I think they’re extremely sexy, inside and out. Release dates for both are not definitive, but the word on the street is that we’re looking at a June 2013 U.S. release window. If the hands-on reviews are good, I’ll wait. Is Sony making a comeback? I hope so!
Sony Xperia Z
- Operating system – Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (Upgradable to 4.2 after launch)
- Processor – 1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 quad-core
- RAM – 2GB
- Screen – 5in Full HD (1920 x 1080) Reality Display with Mobile Bravia Engine 2, and a 443ppi pixel density
- Internal Storage – 16GB
- Card slot – microSD (up to 32GB)
- Rear camera – 13Mp auto-focus, LED flash, Full HD video
- Front camera – 2.2Mp, Full HD video
- Connectivity – Bluetooth 4.0, dual-band Wi-Fi, DLNA, NFC, A-GPS, microUSB
- SIM – microSIM
- Mobile data – GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz, 3G/HSDPA: 850/900/1700/1900/2100MHz, 4G/LTE: 800/850/900/1800/2100/2600MHz
- Battery – Non-removable Li-ion 2330mAh
Sony Xperia Tablet Z
- Operating system – Android 4.1, with an update to 4.2
- Processor – 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro quad-core processor
- Screen – 10.1-inch 1920 x 1200 display
- Super thin at only 6.9mm thick.
- Front camera – 8-megapixel camera
- Connectivity – NFC, and should also run LTE
- Other — water- and dust-proofing